Close this search box.

Radon Gas

Is there a killer in your house or even your workplace?

Gasp! More people die from radon gas in this country than from car accidents. And yet, 96% of us still don’t test for it. Caused by the breakdown of uranium in rocks and soil, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking. Seeping into the house through drains, cracks and crevices in the foundation, this radioactive gas escapes detection because it is both colourless and odourless. Get your house or workplace tested for radon. And don’t forget to tell the neighbours, too.

What is radon?

Radon is a colourless, odourless gas that is produced from the natural breakdown of uranium in rocks and soil.

Radon in your home

Radon can enter a home through tiny openings in floors and foundations and build up to dangerous levels. Long-term exposure to radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer.

Testing for radon

Every home should be tested for radon, no matter where it is located. It’s easy:

  • You can purchase a do-it-yourself test kit from home improvement retailers (look for long-term kits that allow for at least a three month testing period)
  • Although you can do the test yourself, another option is to hire a certified radon professional.
  • To find out more details about testing, click here.

What if my radon levels are high?

The Canadian guideline for indoor radon is 200 becquerels/m3. Action should be taken to reduce the radon level if it reports back higher than 200 Bq/m3. Find a certified radon professional here.

Healthcare professionals

Are you a healthcare professional interested in learning more about radon? Take an online course from machealth that will educate you on how to answer your patients’ questions about radon and the health risks.

Radon in your workplace

We spend a significant portion of our time at work. The health and safety of our workspace is important. That’s why a first of its kind study in Ontario is seeking to understand how exposed Ontario workers are to radon in the workplace.

Radon is a radioactive gas. It is invisible; you can’t see it, smell it, or taste it. All buildings have some level of radon, the question is “how much?”. This is an important question as radon is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer. The health risks from radon exposure are not immediate but the result of long term exposure.